Friday, July 24, 2015

Thoughts of a Rose Bush

 My thoughts this morning were inspired when I saw climbing rose bush in front of an old farm house.  The bush was meandering with small red roses.  It looked like a bush that ‘sprung up’ along a fence and was not intentionally planted.  I’ve driven past this bush for several years but on this particular occasion (my husband was driving so perhaps I was enjoying the scenery in a more relaxed state), I had an intense sense memory. 
  It was a lovely sensation.  I was back in 6th grade and our teacher was giving the class a lecture about stealing flowers.  Someone was stealing red roses from a nearby home on their way to school and the homeowners had contacted the school.  On my desk was a red rose and I had a  red face, I’m sure!
 Everyday, a boy in class would bring me a red rose.  I had no idea where it came from and never considered it.  It was springtime, I was 12 years old, and experiencing my first crush on an inappropriate boy (other side of the tracks).  At recess, he’d chase me on the playground and it was so exciting.  Certainly was never any contact or dialogue that was suggestive of our attraction to one another, just chasing!
 My recent sense memories and thoughts were very sweet in those few moments of time.  I felt special and a bit ‘full of myself’.  So innocent the feelings and recollections were and still are. 
 I drove past the rose bush yesterday but didn’t have the same intense sense memory I had previously experienced but recalled it and perhaps always will every time I pass it in the future.  I am grateful for the sweet experience in my memories of an earlier time in my life when the world and I were less complicated.

  Kate

3 comments:

  1. This was a lovely read. Ahhhh... the power of memories...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could picture the red rose bush as you and Dad drove by in the Miata, as well as the image of you looking as red as I can look in the face, looking at the sweet red rose on the desk...

    ReplyDelete