Wednesday, July 29, 2015

My thoughts on listening

My thoughts of yesterday were with me as I fell asleep last night.  The power of listening and my gratitude for having that capability were in my thoughts.
 I volunteer in a facility where I see several patients.  My ‘job description’ is to disperse information with the hope that some comfort will be achieved in an alien environment.  My gratification comes from going beyond the necessary requirements as I’ve found that any real comfort comes from the communication skills of ‘listening’. 
 I was reminded very vividly of that fact yesterday when visiting a patient who unenthusiastically listened to my ‘spiel’ and displayed little energy.  I mentioned the tv and the patient began to relate a recent program and how impacted they were by the musical performance.  Unexpectedly,  I was then rewarded by, “You listen”.  Evidently, several professionals had visited and had no time for the’ listening’ to the tv experience and clearly wanted to ‘get down to their business’.  Naturally, that was their role in this person’s life. 
 In my role, I was afforded the mindset and capability to listen to this person’s interest and enthusiasm in life when their physical circumstances may have been dire.  The enthusiasm took them out of their physical challenges and was emotionally healing.
In contemplating my day, the many people I interacted with and the experiences I had, the particular experience with this patient and the simple words, “You listen” made me smile and rest.  I thought, “When we just relax and live in the moment, listening is so easy”. Gratitude.  

5 comments: